Preview up to 100 items from this collection below. Highlights of early 20th century Seattle, as depicted through our historic postcards. Cards include images of buildings, attractions and events from the 1900s to the 1960s along with messages between friends and family.
King Street Station, ca. 1906
During the early 1900's, there was increasing interest in connecting railroads with Seattle. The high demand and competition between railways resulted in two railway stations being built directly next to each other at 4th Avenue and Jackson Street. King Street Station (which is depicted in this postcard) was constructed in 1906 and can be distinguished by its tower. Union Station, originally known as the Oregon and Washington Station, was constructed in 1911. (Alternative names for Union Station include the Union Depot and the Northern Pacific Great Northern Depot.) The postcard captioning can be confusing because both stations were sometimes referred to as "union stations" due to the fact that multiple railroad lines were shared within the same terminal. For a good example of the differences between Union Station and King Street Station see spl_pc_01011 where Union Station appears in the foreground and King Street Station appears in the background.
Identifier: spl_pc_01014
Date: 1906
View this itemA Summer Home at Alki Point Washington, 1906
View of West Seattle residence at Alki Point with people posed on the front porch.
Identifier: spl_pc_00602
Date: 1906
View this itemSt. James Cathedral, ca. 1909
Bishop Edward O'Dea purchased the land for St. James Cathedral's First Hill site in 1903 after successfully petitioning the Pope to relocate the episcopal see from Vancouver, Washington to Seattle. The cornerstone for the building was laid in 1905 with more than 5,000 people in attendance and the cathedral officially opened on December 15, 1907.
Identifier: spl_pc_00311
Date: 1909
View this itemAlaska Building, ca. 1905
The Alaska Building, constructed between 1903 and 1904, was the first building in Seattle to be built with a steel frame. At 14 stories high, it was the tallest building in Seattle until the construction of the Hoge Building in 1911.
Identifier: spl_pc_00226
Date: 1905
View this itemMunicipal News, v. 54, no. 3, Feb. 10, 1964
Identifier: spl_mn_818362_54_03
Date: 1964-02-10
View this itemHotel Perry, 1909
Located at Madison Street and Boren Avenue, the Perry Hotel, also known as the Perry Apartments, was built in 1907. In 1916, the building was renovated to become the Columbus Sanitarium and renamed once again to Cabrini Hospital in the 1960s. The building was demolished in 1996. Transcribed from postcard: "Hotel Perry, Madison Street at Boren Avenue Seattle, European Plan, Rooms with Bath $2.00 per Day, B.H. Brobst Manager, 1909"
Identifier: spl_pc_00807
Date: 1909
View this itemFederal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1910
View of the Federal Building (also known as the U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office Building) with the White-Henry-Stuart Building and the Pantages Theatre in the background.
Identifier: spl_pc_00403
Date: 1910
View this itemFederal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1910
Street view of the Federal building in downtown Seattle (also known as the U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office). Construction on the Federal Building began in 1903 and ended in 1908. The building was located at the intersection of Union Street and Third Avenue, which was being regraded at the time. The Third Avenue regrade left a gap of four feet down to the new sidewalk which resulted in a new set of stairs being added to the building's exterior. The building was demolished in 1958.
Identifier: spl_pc_00406
Date: 1910
View this itemCapitol Hill, from Queen Anne Hill, January 6, 1907
Aerial view of Capitol Hill taken from Queen Anne.
Identifier: spl_pc_00605
Date: 1907-01-06
View this itemU.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office, Seattle, Washington.
Construction on Seattle's Third Avenue post office (also known as the U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office) was began in 1903 and ended in 1908. The building was located at the intersection of Union Street and Third Avenue, which was being regraded at the time. The Third Avenue regrade left a gap of four feet down to the new sidewalk which resulted in a new set of stairs being added to the building's exterior. The building was demolished in 1958.
Identifier: spl_pc_00411
Date: 1908
View this item