• Entrance to Alaskan Pavilion at Century 21

    Entrance to Alaskan Pavilion at Century 21

    Lenggenhager, Werner W., 1899-1988

    Alaska Pavilion of the Century 21 Exposition (Seattle World's Fair). "The National Bank of Commerce of Washington, which erected the building for Alaska, provides information for visitors interested in the economic development of the 49th state." The Alaska Pavilion featured displays on the social and economic story of Alaska including a projection of the Aurora Borealis on the dome of the pavilion and color photographs of Alaska scenery and landmarks. (Official Guide Book, Seattle World's Fair 1962. Seattle: Acme Publications. p. 47.)

    Identifier: spl_wl_exp_00037

    Date: 1962-04-28

    View this item
  • St. James Cathedral interior, ca. 1910

    St. James Cathedral interior, ca. 1910

    Bishop Edward O'Dea purchased the land for St. James Cathedral's First Hill site in 1903 after successfully petitioning the Pope to relocate the episcopal see from Vancouver, Washington to Seattle. The cornerstone for the building was laid in 1905 with more than 5,000 people in attendance and the cathedral officially opened on December 15, 1907.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00309

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • King Street Station, ca. 1906

    King Street Station, ca. 1906

    During the early 1900s, there was increasing interest in connecting railroads with Seattle. The high demand and competition between railways resulted in two railway stations being built directly next to each other at 4th Avenue and Jackson Street. King Street Station (which is depicted in this postcard) was constructed in 1906 and can be distinguished by its tower. Union Station, originally known as the Oregon and Washington Station, was constructed in 1911. (Alternative names for Union Station include the Union Depot and the Northern Pacific Great Northern Depot.) The postcard captioning can be confusing because both stations were sometimes referred to as "union stations" due to the fact that multiple railroad lines were shared within the same terminal. For a good example of the differences between Union Station and King Street Station see spl_pc_01011 where Union Station appears in the foreground and King Street Station appears in the background.

    Identifier: spl_pc_01002

    Date: 1906?

    View this item
  • St. James Cathedral, ca. 1909

    St. James Cathedral, ca. 1909

    Bishop Edward O'Dea purchased the land for St. James Cathedral's First Hill site in 1903 after successfully petitioning the Pope to relocate the episcopal see from Vancouver, Washington to Seattle. The cornerstone for the building was laid in 1905 with more than 5,000 people in attendance and the cathedral officially opened on December 15, 1907.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00306

    Date: 1909?

    View this item
  • Frederick & Nelson

    Frederick & Nelson

    In Seattle, Christmas isn't Christmas without a Day at Frederick & Nelson. Seattle's most beautiful department store had rolled out the red carpet for its friends and neighbors this Christmas. The scene shows one of the First floor aisles.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00224

    Date: 1955

    View this item
  • Frederick and Nelson, ca. 1918

    Frederick and Nelson, ca. 1918

    The Frederick and Nelson flagship store opened in 1918 at 5th Avenue and Pine Street. The store attracted thousands of customers on it's first day and remained a popular shopping location for decades. The company went out of business in 1992 and the building was taken over by Nordstrom.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00204

    Date: 1918?

    View this item
  • Federal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1910

    Federal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1910

    Street view of the Federal building in downtown Seattle (also known as the U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office). Construction on the Federal Building began in 1903 and ended in 1908. The building was located at the intersection of Union Street and Third Avenue, which was being regraded at the time. The Third Avenue regrade left a gap of four feet down to the new sidewalk which resulted in a new set of stairs being added to the building's exterior. The building was demolished in 1958.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00406

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • Hotel Butler, ca. 1908

    Hotel Butler, ca. 1908

    The original Butler Block building was a three story wooden building that was constructed around 1875. This building burned in the fire of 1889 but was quickly replaced with a more substantial stone structure. The Butler Hotel or Hotel Butler began operation in the building in 1903, attracting many visitors and gaining a reputation during Prohibition for ignoring the laws against alcohol. The Great Depression forced it to close its doors in 1933 and now all that remains are the lower two floors of the building which were converted into a parking garage.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00808

    Date: 1908?

    View this item
  • St. James Cathedral, ca. 1910

    St. James Cathedral, ca. 1910

    Bishop Edward O'Dea purchased the land for St. James Cathedral's First Hill site in 1903 after successfully petitioning the Pope to relocate the episcopal see from Vancouver, Washington to Seattle. The cornerstone for the building was laid in 1905 with more than 5,000 people in attendance and the cathedral officially opened on December 15, 1907.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00308

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • Union Station, ca. 1911

    Union Station, ca. 1911

    Transcribed from postcard: "New Oregon-Washington Depot. This new depot is 145 x 185 ft. and cost, with its switching yards, $1,000,000 for construction. It is the most northern "out post" of the Harriman system of 13,000 miles of railroads, the greatest in the world."

    Identifier: spl_pc_01012

    Date: 1911?

    View this item