• Perry Hotel, ca. 1910

    Perry Hotel, ca. 1910

    Located at Madison Street and Boren Avenue, the Perry Hotel, also known as the Perry Apartments, was built in 1907. In 1916, the building was renovated to become the Columbus Sanitarium and renamed once again to Cabrini Hospital in the 1960s. The building was demolished in 1996.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00818

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • 14th Ave. homes on Capitol Hill, ca. 1910

    14th Ave. homes on Capitol Hill, ca. 1910

    The Moore Mansion, located at 811 14th Ave E, appears at the far left of the postcard. The 1903 home was built and owned by James A. Moore who developed much of the Capitol Hill neighborhood with through his business, Moore Investment Company.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00604

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • White and Henry Buildings., ca. 1915

    White and Henry Buildings., ca. 1915

    Located at 1318 4th Avenue, the White-Henry-Stuart Building actually consists of three buildings constructed by the Howells and Stokes architecture firm during the period between 1908 and 1915. It was part of the Metropolitan Tract plan which provided office and retail space for the downtown area in the space formerly occupied by the University of Washington's downtown campus. The building was torn down in 1974 to make way for the Rainier Square complex.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00221

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • New Hotel Washington, ca. 1909

    New Hotel Washington, ca. 1909

    Transcribed from postcard: "The New Washington is Seattle's largest fashionable hotel, the finest in the Northwest. It is, however, but one of many of the elegant hosteleries [sic] in the City."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00824

    Date: 1909?

    View this item
  • View east from James St. and Yesler Way, ca. 1915

    View east from James St. and Yesler Way, ca. 1915

    Transcribed from postcard: "Looking up James Street at the left. Yesler Way at the right from Pioneer Square. Showing the 42 Story L.C. Smith Building Seattle, U.S.A." The Seattle Hotel, which appears in the center of the image, was constructed in 1890. It replaced the Occidental Hotel which burned down in the fire of 1889. In 1891, the building served as home to the Seattle Public Library and was converted into an office building in the early 1900's. By 1961, the building was abandoned and later torn down and replaced with a parking garage. This instigated a historic preservation movement in the Pioneer Square area to preserve other historic buildings before they could be demolished. The Smith Tower, which appears in the background, was constructed in 1914 by the architecture firm Gaggin and Gaggin. It was the tallest building in Seattle until the construction of the Space Needle in 1962.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00213

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, ca. 1965

    Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, ca. 1965

    Carkonen, George

    Transcribed from postcard: "Interior icons on gold-leaf were executed in 13th century Byzantine Style on Mount Athos, the Holy Mountain of Orthodoxy."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00305

    Date: 1965?

    View this item
  • Alaska Building, ca. 1905

    Alaska Building, ca. 1905

    The Alaska Building, constructed between 1903 and 1904, was the first building in Seattle to be built with a steel frame. At 14 stories high, it was the tallest building in Seattle until the construction of the Hoge Building in 1911.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00226

    Date: 1905?

    View this item
  • Smith Tower, ca. 1914

    Smith Tower, ca. 1914

    Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950

    Transcribed from postcard: "The New L.C. Smith building, Seattle. 42 stories high, now being erected at the Corner of Second Avenue and Yesler Way. Second Ave and the 42 Story L.C. Smith Bldg. Seattle. U.S.A. Eight elevators-two serving the tower. Six hundred Offices. Six stores. Telegraph office on first Floor. Barber Shop, Restaurant, Buffet in Basement, Thirty-fifth Floor furnished in Washington Fir used as an observatory. Exterior, Washington Granite for first two floors; above white glazed terra cotta. Cost: $1,500,000."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00202

    Date: 1914?

    View this item
  • King Street Station., ca. 1906

    King Street Station., ca. 1906

    During the early 1900s, there was increasing interest in connecting railroads with Seattle. The high demand and competition between railways resulted in two railway stations being built directly next to each other at 4th Avenue and Jackson Street. King Street Station (which is depicted in this postcard) was constructed in 1906 and can be distinguished by its tower. Union Station, originally known as the Oregon and Washington Station, was constructed in 1911. (Alternative names for Union Station include the Union Depot and the Northern Pacific Great Northern Depot.) The postcard captioning can be confusing because both stations were sometimes referred to as "union stations" due to the fact that multiple railroad lines were shared within the same terminal. For a good example of the differences between Union Station and King Street Station see spl_pc_01011 where Union Station appears in the foreground and King Street Station appears in the background.

    Identifier: spl_pc_01019

    Date: 1906?

    View this item
  • 14th Ave. N. looking north to Volunteer Park water tower, ca. 1913

    14th Ave. N. looking north to Volunteer Park water tower, ca. 1913

    The home at the far right is located at 720 14th Ave. E. The home in the distance with the cupola is 806 14th Ave. E. The Volunteer Park water tower can be seen in the distance.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00607

    Date: 1913?

    View this item