• Swedish Tabernacle at Bellevue Ave. and E. Pike St., ca. 1915

    Swedish Tabernacle at Bellevue Ave. and E. Pike St., ca. 1915

    Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950

    Located at the corner of Bellevue Avenue and Pike Street, construction on the Swedish Tabernacle Church was completed in 1906 under the guidance of the architect, John A. Creutzer.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00314

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • Providence Hospital, ca. 1911

    Providence Hospital, ca. 1911

    Between 1907 and 1912, Seattle's Providence Hospital built a large new brick building, at a cost of one million dollars. Designed by Somervell & Cote, it was a full-service hospital with six operating rooms and a nursing school.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00907

    Date: 1911

    View this item
  • Washington Hotel, 1903

    Washington Hotel, 1903

    The Washington Hotel (originally called the Denny Hotel) as it appeared at its location on 3rd Avenue and Stewart Street before the Denny Regrade. Construction of The Denny Hotel started in 1889 but was stopped with only the exterior completed when the Panic of 1893 hit. James A. Moore purchased the property, renaming it the Washington Hotel, but was only able to operate it for a short time before the Denny Regrade forced it to close. The initial regrade lasted from 1902 to 1911 and sluiced much of the land that the hotel originally stood on down into Elliott Bay.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00827

    Date: 1903

    View this item
  • Bow Lake Trailer Town, ca. 1960

    Bow Lake Trailer Town, ca. 1960

    Mood, George

    Transcribed from postcard: "18050 32nd Ave., So. Ch 4 4755. Across U.S. 99 from Sea-Tac International Airport. Mobile living as its best. The only 5 star park in the northwest."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00101

    Date: 1960?

    View this item
  • Cherry St. east from 1st Ave., ca. 1907

    Cherry St. east from 1st Ave., ca. 1907

    The 110 Cherry Building (also known as the Scheuerman Building, completed in 1903) appears on the left side of the street. The Bailey Building (completed in 1892), Western Union office and the Alaska Building (completed in 1904) appear on the right. The streetcar at the center of the image includes a Bon Marche advertisement.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00227

    Date: 1907?

    View this item
  • Summit Ave. and Marion St., ca. 1910

    Summit Ave. and Marion St., ca. 1910

    View of residence at Summit Avenue and Marion Street on First Hill.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00601

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • Capitol Hill, from Queen Anne Hill, January 6, 1907

    Capitol Hill, from Queen Anne Hill, January 6, 1907

    Aerial view of Capitol Hill taken from Queen Anne.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00605

    Date: 1907-01-06

    View this item
  • Union Station interior, ca. 1915

    Union Station interior, ca. 1915

    During the early 1900s, there was increasing interest in connecting railroads with Seattle. The high demand and competition between railways resulted in two railway stations being built directly next to each other at 4th Avenue and Jackson Street. King Street Station (the interior of which is depicted in this postcard) was constructed in 1906 and can be distinguished by its tower. Union Station, originally known as the Oregon and Washington Station, was constructed in 1911. Confusingly, both stations were sometimes referred to as "union stations" or "union depots" due to the fact that multiple railroad lines were shared within the same terminal. For a good example of the differences between Union Station and King Street Station see spl_pc_01011 where Union Station appears in the foreground and King Street Station appears in the background.

    Identifier: spl_pc_01008

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • Benjamin Franklin Hotel, ca. 1929

    Benjamin Franklin Hotel, ca. 1929

    The Benjamin Franklin Hotel was built in 1929. It was designed by architect Gardner J. Gwinn and featured 14 stories with 359 rooms. It was demolished in 1980 to make way for the second tower of the Westin Hotel.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00801

    Date: 1929?

    View this item
  • Carroll's Fine Jewelry, ca. 1970

    Carroll's Fine Jewelry, ca. 1970

    Jensen, Max R.

    Transcribed from postcard: "Carroll's Fine Jewelry. Thomas J. Carroll founded his store in Seattle in 1895 during the Gold Rush days. Through the years, four generations of the Carroll family have served the jewelry needs of their many customers and friends with integrity and pride in the jewelers art. This stately green and gold street clock, a landmark in Seattle, stands at the doorway of the store still owned and operated by Carroll family members."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00233

    Date: 1970?

    View this item