• Frederick & Nelson, ca. 1965

    Frederick & Nelson, ca. 1965

    Transcribed from postcard: "Frederick & Nelson, Fifth at Pine, Seattle. Ten floors of modern beauty! Popular rendezvous for Seattleites and visitors to the city. Eighth floor Tea Room overlooks downtown area. Two smart suburban stores: Bellevue and Aurora Village."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00223

    Date: 1965?

    View this item
  • Bungalow Magazine, v. 2, no. 12, Dec. 1913

    Bungalow Magazine, v. 2, no. 12, Dec. 1913

    J.M. Waller home on Hunter Boulevard S. in Seattle featured on pages 13-21. Exact location unknown. Five Dayton Avenue bungalows featured on pages 29-38 of December 1913 issue including: Charles M. and Frances L. Simmons at 6727 Dayton Ave N Seattle, WA 98103; Jas. G. and Maude L. Pollock at 6723 Dayton Ave N Seattle, WA 98103; and Mrs. J.W. Seuss at 6713 Dayton Ave N Seattle, WA 98103.

    Identifier: spl_bm_531811_1913_2_12

    Date: 1913-12

    View this item
  • Hotel Seattle at James St. and Yesler Way, 1903

    Hotel Seattle at James St. and Yesler Way, 1903

    Located in Pioneer Square at the intersection of Yesler Way, James Street and First Avenue, Hotel Seattle was constructed in 1890. It replaced the Occidental Hotel which burned down in the fire of 1889. In 1891, the building served as home to the Seattle Public Library. Around the time of the construction of the nearby Smith Tower in 1914, Hotel Seattle was converted from hotel use to an office building. By 1961, the building was abandoned and later torn down and replaced with a parking garage. This instigated a historic preservation movement in the Pioneer Square area to preserve other historic buildings before they could be demolished.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00821

    Date: 1903

    View this item
  • Seattle-Tacoma Airport, ca. 1950

    Seattle-Tacoma Airport, ca. 1950

    Transcribed from postcard: "The new $11,000,000 Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, now serving the United States, Alaska and the Orient."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00407

    Date: 1950?

    View this item
  • University National Bank of Seattle, ca. 1915

    University National Bank of Seattle, ca. 1915

    Transcribed from postcard: "University National Bank of Seattle Financial Headquarters from Seattle's Great North End." The building was constructed in 1912.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00200

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • Young Women's Christian Association at 5th Ave. and Seneca St.

    Young Women's Christian Association at 5th Ave. and Seneca St.

    Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950

    Opened in 1914 and led by Mrs. Rees Daniels, the YWCA headquarters was a support center for young working women. The eight-story brick building still serves as the YWCA headquarters today.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00500

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • Elk's Hall at 4th Ave. and Spring St., ca. 1912

    Elk's Hall at 4th Ave. and Spring St., ca. 1912

    Street view of Elk's Hall on Fourth Ave. and Spring Street.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00503

    Date: 1912?

    View this item
  • Smith Tower, ca. 1914

    Smith Tower, ca. 1914

    Transcribed from spl_pc_00215: "Second Ave and the 42 Story L.C. Smith Bldg. Seattle. U.S.A. Eight elevators-two serving the tower. Six hundred Offices. Six stores. Telegraph office on first Floor. Barber Shop, Restaurant, Buffet in Basement, Thirty-fifth Floor furnished in Washington Fir used as an observatory. Exterior, Washington Granite for first two floors; above white glazed terra cotta. Cost: $1,500,000." Smith Tower was constructed in 1914.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00212

    Date: 1914

    View this item
  • Smith Tower, Court House and City Hall, ca. 1950

    Smith Tower, Court House and City Hall, ca. 1950

    Transcribed from postcard: "Smith Tower, Court House and City Hall, Seattle, Washington, in down-town Seattle. From the observation platform in Smith Tower, a 42-story building, one may enjoy an excellent view of the city and surrounding country."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00210

    Date: 1950?

    View this item
  • Olympic Hotel, ca. 1930

    Olympic Hotel, ca. 1930

    The Fairmont Olympic Hotel, originally the Olympic Hotel, was built in 1924. The hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00809

    Date: 1930?

    View this item