• Central Building, ca. 1907

    Central Building, ca. 1907

    Designed by C.R. Aldrich, the Central Building was completed in 1907. At the time of construction, 3rd Ave. was being regraded to establish a more gentle slope and allow a retail core to take hold in the downtown area. The Central Building served several purposes, providing much needed office space for businesses.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00231

    Date: 1907?

    View this item
  • Plymouth Congregational Church, March 21, 1932

    Plymouth Congregational Church, March 21, 1932

    Transcribed from postcard: "Plymouth Congregational Church was founded in 1870 and moved to its third location, depicted here at 6th Avenue and University Street, after construction was completed in 1912." The building was demolished in 1966.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00325

    Date: 1932-03-21

    View this item
  • Colman Building, ca. 1907

    Colman Building, ca. 1907

    The Colman Building, located at 811 1st Ave., was constructed by James M. Colman (1832-1906) in 1889 and expanded in 1906. Colman was a leading figure in the development of Seattle who was also responsible for the construction of the Colman dock along the waterfront. In 1972, the Colman Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It also received landmark status from the City of Seattle in 1990.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00232

    Date: 1907?

    View this item
  • City Hall Park, Frye Hotel and Smith Tower, ca. 1915

    City Hall Park, Frye Hotel and Smith Tower, ca. 1915

    Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950

    Street view of City Hall Park, Frye Hotel and Smith Tower. The Frye Hotel was constructed in 1911 and designed by the architects Charles H. Bebb and Louis L. Mendel. The project was funded by Seattle pioneer George F. Frye and his wife Louisa Frye (originally of the Denny family). The hotel was converted to low income housing in the 1970s. Smith Tower was constructed in 1912 under the supervision of the architecture firm Gaggin and Gaggin. It was the tallest building in Seattle until the construction of the Space Needle in 1962.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00219

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • St. James Cathedral, ca. 1907

    St. James Cathedral, ca. 1907

    Bishop Edward O'Dea purchased the land for St. James Cathedral's First Hill site in 1903 after successfully petitioning the Pope to relocate the episcopal see from Vancouver, Washington to Seattle. The cornerstone for the building was laid in 1905 with more than 5,000 people in attendance and the cathedral officially opened on December 15, 1907.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00304

    Date: 1907?

    View this item
  • Federal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1909

    Federal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1909

    Street view of the Federal Building in downtown Seattle (also known as the U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office Building). Construction on the Federal Building began in 1903 and ended in 1908. The building was located at the intersection of Union Street and Third Avenue, which was being regraded at the time. The Third Avenue regrade left a gap of four feet down to the new sidewalk which resulted in a new set of stairs being added to the building's exterior. The building was demolished in 1958.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00410

    Date: 1909?

    View this item
  • St. James Cathedral, ca. 1909

    St. James Cathedral, ca. 1909

    Transcribed from postcard: "St. James Cathedral. One of the most imposing and costly sacred edifices west of New York. The towers can be seen from any part of the city."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00301

    Date: 1909?

    View this item
  • Residence in Denny Blaine Park, ca. 1910

    Residence in Denny Blaine Park, ca. 1910

    Identifier: spl_pc_00600

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • King County Courthouse, ca, 1905

    King County Courthouse, ca, 1905

    View of the second King County Courthouse, built in 1890 and torn down in the 1930s, which was located at 7th Ave. and Alder St.. A new King County Courthouse was constructed in 1917 on 3rd Ave. in order to be closer to the business district.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00400

    Date: 1905?

    View this item
  • Hotel Perry, 1909

    Hotel Perry, 1909

    Located at Madison Street and Boren Avenue, the Perry Hotel, also known as the Perry Apartments, was built in 1907. In 1916, the building was renovated to become the Columbus Sanitarium and renamed once again to Cabrini Hospital in the 1960s. The building was demolished in 1996. Transcribed from postcard: "Hotel Perry, Madison Street at Boren Avenue Seattle, European Plan, Rooms with Bath $2.00 per Day, B.H. Brobst Manager, 1909"

    Identifier: spl_pc_00807

    Date: 1909

    View this item