• Providence Hospital, ca. 1911

    Providence Hospital, ca. 1911

    Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950

    Between 1907 and 1912, Seattle's Providence Hospital built a large new brick building, at a cost of one million dollars. Designed by Somervell & Cote, it was a full-service hospital with six operating rooms and a nursing school.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00904

    Date: 1911

    View this item
  • City Hall Park, Frye Hotel and Smith Tower, ca. 1915

    City Hall Park, Frye Hotel and Smith Tower, ca. 1915

    Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950

    Street view of City Hall Park, Frye Hotel, the King County Courthouse and Smith Tower. The Frye Hotel was constructed in 1911 and designed by the architects Charles H. Bebb and Louis L. Mendel. The project was funded by Seattle pioneer George F. Frye and his wife Louisa Denny Frye, for whom the hotel is named. The hotel was converted to low income housing in the 1970s. The Smith Tower opened in 1914 and was the tallest building in Seattle until the construction of the Space Needle in 1962. The tower was designed by the Gaggin and Gaggin architectural firm. The King County Courthouse opened in 1916 and was constructed by architect A. Warren Gould. Additional stories were eventually added to the five story structure seen here during renovations in the 1930s.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00214

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • St. James Cathedral, ca. 1909

    St. James Cathedral, ca. 1909

    Bishop Edward O'Dea purchased the land for St. James Cathedral's First Hill site in 1903 after successfully petitioning the Pope to relocate the episcopal see from Vancouver, Washington to Seattle. The cornerstone for the building was laid in 1905 with more than 5,000 people in attendance and the cathedral officially opened on December 15, 1907.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00311

    Date: 1909?

    View this item
  • Smith Tower at night, ca. 1928

    Smith Tower at night, ca. 1928

    Transcribed from postcard: "This great building with 600 offices with exterior trim of bronze and interior of steel, finished to resemble highly grained mahogany. Besides possessing every convenience required in the business day, has a Chinese Room adjoining and opening onto the observation balcony. This magnificent room is highly decorated in heavy and finely carved Chinese Teakwood, wrought by native workmen, embellished with myriads of porcelain panels in varying designs, replicas of those in ancient Chinese Temples. No room in America is more gorgeous, visited each day by thousands who are afforded a beautiful vista of Seattle, the bay and lakes and the snow capped mountain ranges, with Mount Rainier and Mount Baker in the distance."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00201

    Date: 1928?

    View this item
  • New Washington Hotel, ca. 1930

    New Washington Hotel, ca. 1930

    Transcribed from postcard: "In the heart of the theatrical and shopping district. Seattle's leading commercial & tourist hotel, all rooms with private bath. Tariff $3.00 per day and up. J.C. Marmaduke, Manager H.R. Warner. Ass't. Manager."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00802

    Date: 1930?

    View this item
  • Medical Dental Building, ca. 1925

    Medical Dental Building, ca. 1925

    The Medical Dental Building was constructed in 1925 and expanded in 1950. Initial plans for expansion during the 1930s were put on hold due to the Great Depression. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006

    Identifier: spl_pc_00901

    Date: 1925?

    View this item
  • Hotel Frye, ca. 1911

    Hotel Frye, ca. 1911

    The Frye Hotel opened in 1911. Transcribed from postcard: "European. Fireproof. Now open. Seattle's newest fireproof and most conveniently located hotel in city, corner Yesler Way and Third Avenue. Moderate rates. Room with detached bath $1.00 to $1.50, room with private bath $1.50 to $3.00. R.E. Nixon, Manager."

    Identifier: spl_pc_00816

    Date: 1911?

    View this item
  • Alaska Building, ca. 1905

    Alaska Building, ca. 1905

    The Alaska Building, constructed between 1903 and 1904, was the first building in Seattle to be built with a steel frame. At 14 stories high, it was the tallest building in Seattle until the construction of the Hoge Building in 1911.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00225

    Date: 1905?

    View this item
  • Collins Field House, ca. 1910

    Collins Field House, ca. 1910

    Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950

    Transcribed from postcard: "Four of Seattle's playgrounds have been provided with these Field Houses containing Libraries, Club Rooms, Assembly Halls, and Gymnasiums." The Collins Field House, located at the east end of Collins park on between 14th and 16th Avenues S., was one of three recreation centers built by the city in the early 1900's. It followed the center at Hiawatha Park and the Ballard Field House. The Collins Field House was torn down in 1975.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00702

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • King Street Station interior, ca. 1906

    King Street Station interior, ca. 1906

    During the early 1900's, there was increasing interest in connecting railroads with Seattle. The high demand and competition between railways resulted in two railway stations being built directly next to each other at 4th Avenue and Jackson Street. King Street Station (the interior of which is depicted in this postcard) was constructed in 1906 and can be distinguished by its tower. Union Station, originally known as the Oregon and Washington Station, was constructed in 1911. Confusingly, both stations were sometimes referred to as "union stations" or "union depots" due to the fact that multiple railroad lines were shared within the same terminal. For a good example of the differences between Union Station and King Street Station see spl_pc_01011 where Union Station appears in the foreground and King Street Station appears in the background.

    Identifier: spl_pc_01015

    Date: 1906

    View this item