• Bruno's Menu

    Bruno's Menu

    Open since 1975, Bruno's serves Mexican and Italian food as two separate parts of its menu, rather than trying to combine the two cuisines.

    Identifier: spl_menu_00091

    Date: Unknown

    View this item
  • Bungalow Magazine, v. 3, no. 1, Jan. 1914

    Bungalow Magazine, v. 3, no. 1, Jan. 1914

    Home of Joseph F. and Clara Dubail at 326 Lakeside Ave S, Seattle, WA 98144 featured on pages 49-53. Home of William L. and Grace Hoffeditz at 6259 1st Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98107 featured on pages 54-60.

    Identifier: spl_bm_531811_1914_3_1

    Date: 1914-01

    View this item
  • Washington Hotel, 1903

    Washington Hotel, 1903

    The Washington Hotel (originally called the Denny Hotel) as it appeared at its location on 3rd Avenue and Stewart Street before the Denny Regrade. Construction of The Denny Hotel started in 1889 but was stopped with only the exterior completed when the Panic of 1893 hit. James A. Moore purchased the property, renaming it the Washington Hotel, but was only able to operate it for a short time before the Denny Regrade forced it to close. The initial regrade lasted from 1902 to 1911 and sluiced much of the land that the hotel originally stood on down into Elliott Bay.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00827

    Date: 1903

    View this item
  • Federal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1910

    Federal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1910

    Street view of the Federal Building in downtown Seattle with the White-Henry-Stuart Building and the Pantages Theatre in the background. Construction on the Federal Building (also known as the U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office) began in 1903 and ended in 1908. The building was located at the intersection of Union Street and Third Avenue, which was being regraded at the time. The Third Avenue regrade left a gap of four feet down to the new sidewalk which resulted in a new set of stairs being added to the building's exterior. The building was demolished in 1958.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00413

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • City Hall Park, Frye Hotel and Smith Tower, ca. 1915

    City Hall Park, Frye Hotel and Smith Tower, ca. 1915

    Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950

    Street view of City Hall Park, Frye Hotel, the King County Courthouse and Smith Tower. The Frye Hotel was constructed in 1911 and designed by the architects Charles H. Bebb and Louis L. Mendel. The project was funded by Seattle pioneer George F. Frye and his wife Louisa Denny Frye, for whom the hotel is named. The hotel was converted to low income housing in the 1970s. The Smith Tower opened in 1914 and was the tallest building in Seattle until the construction of the Space Needle in 1962. The tower was designed by the Gaggin and Gaggin architectural firm. The King County Courthouse opened in 1916 and was constructed by architect A. Warren Gould. Additional stories were eventually added to the five story structure seen here during renovations in the 1930s.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00214

    Date: 1915?

    View this item
  • Federal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1910

    Federal Building at 3rd Ave. and Union St., ca. 1910

    Street view of the Federal Building in downtown Seattle (also known as the U.S. Court House, Custom House and Post Office Building). Construction on the Federal Building began in 1903 and ended in 1908. The building was located at the intersection of Union Street and Third Avenue, which was being regraded at the time. The Third Avenue regrade left a gap of four feet down to the new sidewalk which resulted in a new set of stairs being added to the building's exterior. The building was demolished in 1958.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00410

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • Providence Hospital, ca. 1911

    Providence Hospital, ca. 1911

    Between 1907 and 1912, Seattle's Providence Hospital built a large new brick building, at a cost of one million dollars. Designed by Somervell & Cote, it was a full-service hospital with six operating rooms and a nursing school.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00904

    Date: 1911

    View this item
  • St. James Cathedral, ca. 1910

    St. James Cathedral, ca. 1910

    Bishop Edward O'Dea purchased the land for St. James Cathedral's First Hill site in 1903 after successfully petitioning the Pope to relocate the episcopal see from Vancouver, Washington to Seattle. The cornerstone for the building was laid in 1905 with more than 5,000 people in attendance and the cathedral officially opened on December 15, 1907.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00312

    Date: 1910?

    View this item
  • Hotel Butler, ca. 1905

    Hotel Butler, ca. 1905

    The original Butler Block building was a three story wooden structure that was constructed around 1875. This building burned in the fire of 1889 but was quickly replaced with a more substantial stone structure. The Butler Hotel or Hotel Butler began operation in the building in 1903, attracting many visitors and gaining a reputation during Prohibition for ignoring the laws against alcohol. The Great Depression forced the hotel to close its doors in 1933 and now all that remains are the lower two floors of the building which were converted into a parking garage.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00815

    Date: 1905?

    View this item
  • Young Women's Christian Association at 5th Ave. and Seneca St.

    Young Women's Christian Association at 5th Ave. and Seneca St.

    Nowell, Frank H., 1864-1950

    Opened in 1914 and led by Mrs. Rees Daniels, the YWCA headquarters was a support center for young working women. The eight-story brick building still serves as the YWCA headquarters today.

    Identifier: spl_pc_00500

    Date: 1915?

    View this item