We have partnered with AARP and the United Way of King County to offer free tax help at Library branches throughout the city. Trained volunteers can answer your questions and help you prepare your tax return during drop-in hours or by appointment. Please bring your social security card, ID and tax documents for the year you need to file.
How It Works
Trained volunteers are available to answer questions and help fill out your personal tax return at several library locations.
Simply gather your tax documents and bring them to the branch of your choice for free, drop-in tax help from trained volunteers.
Tax preparation help is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Appointments are not required unless noted in the Tax Help schedule below. This service is not available for business tax returns.
The tax preparation service is available through a partnership between the Seattle Public Library, United Way of King County and the AARP.
Please bring the following required documents for free drop-in tax help:
- Original Social Security cards for everyone listed on the tax return
- Original government-issued photo ID
- Income tax forms such as W-2s, 1099s, SSA-1099s, etc.
- Health care coverage information for each person on the return
The following documents are required if applicable:
- Health coverage forms (1095-A,B,C)
- Tuition statements (1098s)
You may also want to bring:
- Last year’s tax return, if available
- A voided check so you can electronically receive any tax refund
More Helpful Information
- If your Social Security number is followed by an A, your original Medicare card may be used as a substitute for your Social Security card
- You must bring the originals of government-issued identification: Copies are not accepted forms of identification.
- Please bring blank IRS forms with you or print them at the library. IRS forms are available online at www.irs.gov. You may also print the forms from library computers for 15 cents per page. The IRS can also mail you forms if you order them at www.irs.gov/orderforms or by calling 1-800-829-3676.
- The last client will be taken 30-45 minutes before the end of drop-in hours at each location.
Upcoming Tax HelpView Tax Help Calendar
If you have a question or need help, Ask Us or call 206-386-4636.