Bring valid ID and proof of address to get your Library card
You can apply for your Library card online or in person. Please bring identification (ID) and proof of your current address to any Library location to get your Library card. We accept many forms of ID.
ID must be current. Examples of acceptable ID include:
- Washington State driver’s license
- Washington State ID card (issued by Department of Licensing)
- Out of state driver’s license or state ID
- Foreign driver’s license
- United States or foreign passport
- Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
- Employee ID card or badge
- Military or Merchant Marine ID
- Credit or debit card, with signature
- School ID card
- Voter registration card
- Birth certificate (original or certified copy)
- Vehicle registration
- Organization membership card with pre-printed name and photo or signature
- Bus pass (with photo)
- Emergency or community shelter ID
Other ID not included on this list will be accepted if it is issued by a government agency, school, institution or business and includes a pre-printed name and photo or a pre-printed name and signature. Photo ID is required for all online applications.
If you do not have photo ID but have another form of valid ID, please complete and sign a paper application. You can download and print an application, or pick one up at any Library location.
Young adult borrowers (between the ages of 13 and 17) may provide the co-signature of a parent or legal guardian in lieu of ID. Juvenile borrowers (age 12 and under) do not need ID but must provide the signature of a parent or legal guardian. Please visit any Library location for a paper application.
If you need assistance obtaining valid ID, you can call 2-1-1 or visit 2-1-1 Community Resources Online.
Proof of Address
Proof of current residence address is also required if this is not included on your ID. Examples of documents that can be used to verify residence address include:
- Driver's license or State ID
- Utility bill
- Current mail
- Personal check
- Voter registration Card
- Vehicle registration
- Lease or rental agreement
If you’re currently experiencing homelessness, Library staff can assist you with address verification options.
If you have a question or need help, Ask Us or call 206-386-4636.