University Branch Highlights
The renovated University Branch reopened Oct. 13, 2007. It is one of the oldest Carnegie libraries in Seattle. High ceilings, expansive windows and hanging lamps contribute to a sense of spaciousness. This location features a lower-level meeting room.
Serving the University District since 1906
In 1906, the first location of the University Branch opened in the University Pharmacy, which was at the entrance to the University of Washington. Several months later it moved to the nearby University M.E. Church.
In 1908, Andrew Carnegie donated $105,000 for three branch libraries in Seattle; one of them was in the University District. The same year, Watson and Cornelia Allen donated land for the branch at its current location.
After a design competition, architects W. Marbury Somervell and Joseph S. Coté designed the two-level branch, which cost $38,935 to build. The branch began serving the public Aug. 6, 1910.
"The Seven Liberal Arts" by Dennis Evans
Seattle artist Dennis Evans created a series of painted, mixed-media works titled "The Seven Liberal Arts." The pieces show the seven classical branches of knowledge. You can find them at these Carnegie branches:
- Fremont Branch
- Green Lake Branch
- Queen Anne Branch
- University Branch
- West Seattle Branch
One of the oldest branch libraries in Seattle
The renovated University Branch is the 24th project completed under the "Libraries for All" building program.
The renovation of the historic branch was designed by Hoshide Williams Architects and built by Biwell Construction Inc.
Spaces named for donors include the David R. Davis Reading Room.
David R. Davis grew up in Idaho, where his love of books quickly became evident. As a youngster, he worked for a printer who paid him in books, which Davis thought was a good deal. He entered the Navy in 1943 and studied medicine while serving in Korea. After the war, he moved to Bellevue where he was a general surgeon until 1997.