Greenwood Branch Highlights
The current Greenwood Branch opened Jan. 29, 2005. After consulting with the community, the Library bought a house next to the old branch and demolished them both to make room for this larger branch. The new branch features windows along the east wall with views of the Cascade Mountains.
Serving Greenwood since 1928
On May 16, 1928, the Greenwood-Phinney Branch Library opened thanks to the efforts of the Greenwood-Phinney Commercial Club and parent-teacher groups. The club responded to an offer from the Library Board to operate a branch if the community paid for rent, utilities and janitorial service. Rent was $45 a month for the storefront that housed the Greenwood-Phinney Branch.
Its popularity led to an expansion in 1932, which almost doubled the space. A second remodel occurred in 1939. Bond issues for new libraries failed in 1950 and 1952, but the City Council added $492,000 to the 1953 budget to buy a new bookmobile and build three branches, including the Greenwood Branch. The branch opened on Jan. 20, 1954 - the first new Library building in 33 years.
Made with materials from near and far
The new Greenwood Branch was the 13th project completed under the "Libraries for All" building program. The new building was designed by Buffalo Design and built by W.G. Clark Construction Co. The branch was designed to complement Greenwood's architecture and to stand out as a civic presence.
A journey in glass
Portland artists Fernanda D'Agostino and Valerie Otani collaborated to design complex images and text embedded in three glass windows. Most of the images are based on Greenwood Branch patrons who posed as models. The windows are installed in the meeting room facing Greenwood Avenue North,
Friends of The Seattle Public Library Meeting Room
For 65 years the Friends of The Seattle Public Library has been a grassroots volunteer organization that has supported the Library as an essential institution in society. The Friends supports Library programs, advocates for the Library, and raises money through book sales and a FriendShop in the Central Library. Grants from the Friends have provided additional resources to enhance the Libraries for All building program in several branches.