2019 Library Levy Proposal
The development of the seven-year $213.3 million Library Levy Renewal, proposed by Mayor Durkan in collaboration with Library administration and the Board of Trustees, was developed using priorities identified by the community during Community Conversations, neighborhood community outreach, and a public survey of over 26,000 Seattle residents.
Proposed 2019 Library Levy Renewal
The proposal includes funding for the following areas:
- Preserve open hours and staffing from the 2012 Library Levy
- Add morning and evening hours at the High Point, International District/Chinatown and South Park branches
- Add Friday hours at the Delridge, Green Lake, NewHolly and Wallingford branches.
- Add one additional Sunday hour at all branches
- Sustain funding for two security officers, originally added using one-time general fund resources in 2019
- Maintain and expand collection of physical and digital materials
- Provide more e-materials, including e-books, e-audiobooks, and streaming services
- Eliminate Library overdue fines ( View the fact sheet )
- Maintain and improve “no holds, no wait” Peak Picks collection
- Preserve support for collection and digitization of local history items, first established by the 2012 Library Levy
- Replace infrastructure for public internet access
- Replace the Library’s operations management system, which enables the Library to procure items, reduce hold times, and provide a discovery layer of our materials for patrons to access
- Fund digital equity offerings such as Wi-Fi HotSpots and Digital Literacy classes
- Maintain and upgrade public technologies on a timely basis
- Maintain and enhance SPL.org website
- Carry out preventative maintenance work in our buildings
- Preserve budget for to carry out major maintenance work, such as roof replacements, accessibility improvements, re-carpeting, etc.
- Carry out seismic retrofit work at the historic Columbia, Green Lake and University branches
The City Council’s Select Committee on the Library Levy plans to review the proposal at an upcoming meeting.