Impact on people in need
We engage with and provide resources and services to underserved and high-need individuals and families who have much to gain from Library services.
Summary of Programs for People in Need
- We continued on-site Wi-Fi lending to homeless encampments, shelters and tent cities.
- 50 Wi-Fi hotspots circulated to more than 150 residents of tent cities in 2017
- Four-month lending periods offer meaningful internet access for Seattle residents experiencing homelessness.
Help for veterans
- We offered help for veterans struggling to get back on their feet.
- Services include help with housing, financial planning, legal issues, access to medical care and more
- We offered tax preparation assistance for individuals who earn $64,000 a year and under.
- We offered 1,402 hours of Tax Help in 2017
- Tax Help is offered by trained volunteers from United Way of King County and AARP
- 9,000+ residents received assistance completing income tax returns in 2017
Other key 2017 initiatives
- FlexTech laptop and tablet lending in branches
- Kids’ Cafe after-school meals
- Drop-in programs for homeless youth