How to Manage Your Account
Learn about creating and logging into your Library account, managing your PIN, renewing items you check out and how to make payments.
How to Manage Your Account
What is a Library account?
Your Library account gives you access to Library information online.
Use your account online to:
- Renew items you have checked out up to three times if no one else is waiting.
- Place holds on items you want to borrow. You can place up to 50 physical items and 25 e-books or audiobooks on hold at once.
- See when your items are due and check if you have overdue items.
- Pause your holds when you are out-of-town or on vacation.
- View any charges on your account.
- See if any items on hold are ready for pick up.
- Create and share book lists.
- Keep track of your borrowing history (opt-in to enable).
How do I log in to my Library account?
Log in to My Account (link located in the upper right-hand corner of every web page or at the top of menu options on a mobile device). Enter your Library card number (the 13-digit number found on your Library card) and your Personal Identification Number (PIN).
To protect your privacy, always log out of your account when you are finished and never let the browser save your password if you are on a public or shared computer.
How do I make a payment on my account?
We accept payments online or by mail.
Online: Use your credit card, debit card or PayPal account to pay online.
Things you need to know:
- Credit and debit card payments are made through PayPal, but you don't need a PayPal account to make a payment.
- There is no service charge, but a minimum payment of $1 is required.
- Payments will be applied to your Library account immediately.
- Ask Us if you experience problems with an online payment.
- Credit card payments are not accepted in person or by phone.
By mail: Mail check/money order to:
Attention Borrower Payments
The Seattle Public Library
1000 Fourth Ave.
Seattle, WA 98104
Include your Library card number so your account is credited. You will receive a receipt in the mail.
How can I renew items I have checked out?
We will attempt to automatically renew items when they are due. If we cannot renew an item, we will notify you when it is overdue. Items can be renewed up to three times if no one else is waiting.
There are a variety of reasons that we may be unable to automatically renew items, and their status may change. To try to renew items yourself, log in to My Account, select 'Checked Out' to see a list of everything you currently have checked out, then click the blue 'Renew' button to renew a single item, or select the check boxes to manage multiple items. A message will appear to let you know if the renewal was successful.
A renewed item will be checked out again for the same amount of time you initially borrowed it for. So if the item initially checked out for three weeks, you can renew it for another three weeks if no one is waiting. The new checkout period will start from the day you renew the item.
What is a PIN and why do I need one?
A PIN (Personal Identification Number) is a four-digit number you choose when you pick up your Library card or request it online to protect your account.
Be sure to keep your PIN private. Library staff will never ask for your PIN in person or over the phone.
When will I use my PIN?
What if I forget my PIN?
If you don't know your PIN, have forgotten it or want a new one, ask for help at any Library location or call Borrower Services at 206-386-4190.
Can I change my PIN online?
Yes. Log in to Your Account. On the menu, click "My Settings." Scroll down to the "Change PIN" option.
How can I receive notifications about my Library account?
You can receive Library notifications by email, text or phone. If you gave us an email address when you signed up for your Library card we will email you about holds, overdue items and charges for lost items. You can also sign up to receive notifications by text or phone (TeleCirc), or use Library Elf to customize notifications for multiple Library accounts.