History

Serving Wallingford since 1949

The Wilmot Memorial Library opened Sept. 10, 1949 in a house donated by Alice Wilmot Dennis in memory of her sister, Florence Wilmot Metcalf. The branch moved to remodeled quarters in a former police and fire station in 1985 and was renamed the Wallingford-Wilmot Library.

The branch shared its new space with the 45th Street Clinic, which eventually expanded and asked the library to relocate.

Read more

Architecture

A window to the world

Exterior view of the Wallingford Branch
Exterior view of the Wallingford Branch

The relocated Wallingford Branch is the second project completed under the "Libraries for All" building program.

The Miller|Hull Partnership designed the Solid Ground building (formerly the Fremont Public Association Resource Center) with the Library in mind as a possible tenant. Miller|Hull also designed the Library’s space, which was built by Harmatta Construction. The distinguished yet approachable building consolidates community services and volunteers under one roof.

Read more

Art

Light art by Richard Elliot and a community timeline

Artwork by Richard Elliott at the Wallingford Branch
Artwork by Richard Elliott at the Wallingford Branch

Ellensburg artist Richard Elliott designed five colorful neon signs to represent activities going on in the library. There is also a pictorial timeline of the Wallingford Branch’s history.

Read more