Southwest Branch Highlights
The expanded Southwest Branch reopened March 10, 2007. It has a welcoming entry, and inside the branch the earth tones and light-colored wood create a sense of warm coziness. Words inspired by patron comments about the branch are engraved in granite panels set into the exterior pathway.
Serving Westwood since 1945
Library service began March 8, 1945, when the Fauntleroy Station opened near the ferry landing. "Stations" had smaller collections of books and were open fewer hours than branches, but were needed to serve the number of people who came to Seattle during World War II.
In 1956, Seattle voters passed a $5 million bond issue to replace the Central Library and to use any leftover money to build new branches. The Southwest Branch was the first new branch to be built with the money.
Read where you live
The expanded Southwest Branch is the 22nd project completed under the Libraries for All building program.
The expansion was designed by Olson Sundberg Kundig Allen Architects and built by Construction Enterprises & Contractors Inc.
Bronze and copper art by multiple artists
In the building’s entry, artist Katherine Kerr has set bronze casts of hands from people in community. Seattle artist Morgan Brig created five copper and enamel panel for the branch. There is also a bronze sculpture by Charles W. Smith.