Queen Anne Branch Architecture
The renovated Queen Anne Branch is the 23rd project completed under the "Libraries for All" building program.
The renovation was designed by Hoshide Williams Architects and built by Biwell Construction Inc.
About the Building
The two-level branch was designed by W. Marbury Somervell and Harlan Thomas and cost $32,667 to build. It opened on New Year's Day in 1914.
The building followed one of Andrew Carnegie's preferred designs for libraries -- main-floor reading areas and a lower-level auditorium. Its general architectural style is Late Tudor Revival.
Tall ceilings, expansive leaded glass windows, and hanging lamps contribute to a sense of spaciousness. Rich detailing and use of golden oak throughout the interior add to the warm, historic feel of the branch.
The lower-level auditorium was an important meeting place for community groups, patriotic organizations and special interest groups such as the Earwig Club, which was dedicated to eradicating the insect.
The historic branch is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has been named a landmark building by Seattle's Landmarks Preservation Board.