High Point Branch Highlights
The current High Point Branch opened June 19, 2004. After consulting with the community, the Library decided to buy the location from the Seattle Housing Authority and build a new library that is 600% larger than the old building. In the branch, children, teens and adults all have their own distinct reading areas.
Serving High Point since 1942
The High Point Library opened on Nov. 3, 1942, in a 14-foot by 16-foot cloakroom of the High Point Housing Project. The library was originally intended for project residents only, many of whom were federal defense workers. The library began to welcome nearby residents in 1944.
In April 1961, the library moved to a larger space in a duplex provided by the Seattle Housing Authority. The second floor was sealed off, and the first floor was renovated to house the library. In the mid-1970s, the library expanded to 1,200 square feet.
View Puget Sound while you read
The new High Point Branch is the ninth project completed under the 1998 voter-approved "Libraries for All" building program.
The new building was designed by Miller Hayashi Architects and built by Cope Construction Co.
Outside the building are terra cotta (clay) relief sculptures by Seattle artist Steve Gardner. They show legends from different cultures about the sky and star constellations. Gardner also made terra cotta "rain chains" suspended from the roof that act as downspouts.