Green Lake Branch Highlights
The current Green Lake Branch was renovated and reopened March 6, 2004. Tall ceilings contribute to a sense of spaciousness and rich detailing and use of wood throughout the interior adds to the warm, historic feel of the branch.
Serving Green Lake since 1905
In 1905, the Library opened a small, one-room structure on the east side of the lake. It was several blocks south of the present building. In 1908, wealthy philanthropist Andrew Carnegie agreed to donate $35,000 to build a replacement branch. Local residents raised $3,000 to buy the current branch site; the city contributed another $1,000. The building opened in in July 1910.
A renovated Carnegie Library
The renovated Green Lake Branch is the sixth project completed under the "Libraries for All" building program. The renovation was designed by Snyder Hartung Kane Strauss Architects and built by W.G. Clark Construction Co.
Rotating artwork by Dennis Evans
Seattle artist Dennis Evans created two painted mixed-media works for the branch that are part of a series for five of the Library's Carnegie branches. All the pieces reflect classical liberal arts themes. Each branch will have a permanent reference painting and each will have a painting designed to circulate among the other Carnegie branches.
Mary Alice Cooley Meeting Room
You can reserve the Mary Alice Cooley Meeting Room through our Spaces room reservation system.