Capitol Hill Branch Highlights
On May 31, 2003, the current Capitol Hill Branch was renamed and opened in the same location where the Henry Branch once was. It has a reading room with glass walls to the north and south, with a vertical garden that allows natural light into the room.
Serving Capitol Hill since 1954
The City Council funded the Susan J. Henry branch after library bond failures in 1950 and 1952.
An urban building
The new Capitol Hill Branch is the fourth project completed under the "Libraries for All" building program.
The building was designed by Johnston Architects and Cutler Architects and built by Summit Central Construction.
Climbing vines over vertical mesh screens
Merging art and architecture, Iole Alessandrini's "Contour" is a green, living wall over the entrance to the Capitol Hill Branch. Both evergreens and vines are supported on a stainless steel frame of mesh screens. The lattice wraps around the building and goes inside to frame the two-story reading room.
Eulalie Bloedel Schneider Family Reading Area
Eulalie Bloedel Schneider returned to Seattle after living in Geneva, Switzerland for 40 years. Her interests include her children, friends, opera, and cultural and political events. She created a foundation to support economic self-sufficiency. On a personal level, the Reading Area echoes Schneider's celebration of quiet and reflection.