Broadview Branch Highlights
The current Broadview Branch was expanded and reopened
Serving Broadview since 1954
When the city of Seattle annexed the Broadview area in 1954, it took over a branch formerly opened by the King County Library System at 525 N. 105th St. In 1955, The Seattle Public Library re-opened the location as the Oakview Branch.
In 1967, a site at Greenwood Avenue North and North 130th Street was purchased and the City Council set aside money to build a branch. But the City Council instead used the money to renovate Sicks' Stadium for Seattle's first major baseball team, the Pilots. Outraged Broadview residents vigorously protested — at one point holding a "read in" at the vacant lot — but it wasn't until Dec. 15, 1975 that the Broadview Branch was opened.
Unity of old and new designs
The newly expanded Broadview Branch is the 25th project completed under the "Libraries for All" building program. The expansion was designed by Miller Hayashi Architects and built by Graham Contracting Ltd.
Works by Northwest artists
Four pieces of artwork by Northwest artist Marvin Oliver, which hung in the original branch, returned to the building.
Seattle artist Theresa Batty created a suspended wooden vessel and cast glass blocks that contain images. The pieces abstractly reference navigation, direction and personal searches for belonging and identity.