Ballard Branch Highlights
The current Ballard Branch opened on May 15, 2005. It is one of the most heavily used branches in the Library system. It has a nautical-themed green roof planted with native flora. You can view the green roof from a periscope in the branch.
Serving Ballard since 1904
In 1904, the first Ballard Library was a Carnegie Free Public Library. It was built with funds raised by Ballard residents and a donation from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. When the city of Seattle annexed the city of Ballard in 1907, the library became the first major branch of The Seattle Public Library.
Architecture & Environmental Features
Solar panels and more
The new Ballard Branch is the 15th branch to open under the "Libraries for All" building program. The building was designed by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson and built by PCL Construction Services Inc. Creative environmental features are everywhere at this branch - from the planted "green roof" to pools of natural light in the underground parking garage.
Spaces named for donors include:
Helen G. Rosen Children's Area; Ian McKenzie Black Reading Area; Miriam Twitchell Alberg and Thomas A. Alberg Meeting Room; U.S. Bancorp Foundation Quiet Room; Rotary Club of Ballard Study Room.