Fremont Branch History
In 1902, the Library took over the Fremont Reading Room Association and provided service to the community in a rented space. Library service was upgraded to branch status in 1903, but residents were determined to find the library a permanent home.
Fremont Branch 2005 Renovation
The branch, which opened in 1921, is a Mission Revival-style, Carnegie-funded branch designed by Daniel R. Huntington. It is listed on The National Register of Historic Places.
The Library coordinated the renovation with Seattle Parks and Recreation, which developed a park next door to the branch. Wheelchair users have easier access with our ramp that leads from A. B. Ernst Park to the branch's lower-level meeting room.
The renovated branch now has:
- 800 square feet of program space
- updated collection of books and materials
- more seating
- more computers
- more efficient interior layout
- Project type: Renovate existing branch
- Completion date: 2005
- Budget for capital costs: $665,000
- Total library program area: 6,840 square feet (formerly 6,040 square feet)
- Computers: 13 (formerly 7)
- Artist: Dennis Evans
- Art budget: $15,305
- Library Board steward: Gordon McHenry Jr.
- Architect: Hoshide Williams Architects
- Contractor: Biwell Construction Inc.
- April 2005: The renovated Fremont Branch of The Seattle Public Library opened at noon Saturday, April 16.
- July 2004: Construction began on the branch renovation.
- May 2004: The branch closed May 22 for renovation.
- April 2004: The Seattle Public Library board of trustees selected artist Dennis Evans of Seattle to create artwork for the Fremont, Green Lake, Queen Anne, University, and West Seattle branches.
- December 2003: Seattle's Landmarks Preservation Board awarded the final Certificate of Approval for the branch renovation.
- October 2003: Residents attended a meeting to see the design of the renovation.
- June 2003: Residents attended a meeting to see early designs of the renovation.
- September 2002: The Library Board selected Hoshide Williams Architects to design the renovation. An advisory panel that included Fremont-area residents evaluated proposals and interviewed architect finalists. Earlier in the month, residents met architect finalists at a public reception.
- March 2002: Twelve firms answered the Library's call for architects to renovate the historic branch.
- December 2001: Seattle's Landmarks Preservation Board voted to designate the Fremont Branch as a landmark building.