The Seattle Public Library, United Way of King County and the AARP are collaborating to offer free tax preparation service January through mid-April at 12 locations throughout the city.
Trained volunteers will answer questions and help prepare personal tax returns. The service is not available for business tax returns.
Drop-in assistance will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis; appointments are not required unless noted in the Tax Help schedule.
To receive tax help, bring the following documents:
- Social security card/ITIN letters for everyone on the return
- Photo ID of Taxpayer (and spouse if applicable)
- All tax statements (W-2s, 1099s, SSA-1099s, etc)
- Health Insurance forms 1095-A, -B, or -C (if available)
Note: To E-file, both spouses must be present
- Bank account number and routing number (recommended for direct deposit)
- A copy of last year's return (recommended so tax preparers can compare year to year)
Due to federal budget cuts the IRS is unable to provide the Library with certain tax forms and instruction booklets. Most IRS forms are available online at www.irs.gov. You may make black-and-white prints of the forms from Library computers for $.15 per page. To ask the IRS to mail you forms, order online at IRS.gov/orderforms or call 1-800-829-3676.
For more information, Ask a Librarian or call the Library at 206-386-4636.