The High Point Branch of The Seattle Public Library has:
The new High Point Branch at 3411 S.W. Raymond St. opened June 19, 2004. It was the ninth project completed under the 1998 voter-approved "Libraries for All" building program. (See the High Point Branch Building Facts for more information.)
The new building was designed by Miller Hayashi Architects and built by Cope Construction Co.
Teens have more books, magazines and books on tape, plus their own area with chairs and a window seat. The children's area is defined by four hanging "sky canoes." Adults have their own reading area with window seats and comfortable seating.
People in the meeting room can enjoy an expansive view of Puget Sound and patrons in the main branch can look out at the lush "bio-swale," an eco-friendly landscaping plan that uses plants to filter runoff from the parking lot before it gets into the stormwater system. Upper wall windows let daylight in under all four sides of the roof, which helps reduce energy costs.
The building has two entrances. The west court, which faces 35th Avenue Southwest, is civic and formal. The east court opens to pedestrian and bicycle traffic from the High Point HOPE VI development that borders the site. A book return, bike racks, parking, and outdoor reading areas also are located in the east court.
A new tree in the east entry court is a "Scholar's Tree" (sophora japonica), a tree that is traditionally planted at places of learning throughout Asia.
Recessed into the brick exterior are terra cotta relief sculptures by Seattle artist Steve Gardner that depict legends from different cultures about the constellations and the sky. Gardner also made terra cotta "rain chains" suspended from the roof that act as downspouts. The Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs manages the Library's public art program.
See Art at the High Point Branch for more information.
The High Point Library opened on Nov. 3, 1942, in a 14-foot by 16-foot cloakroom of the High Point Housing Project. The library was originally intended for project residents only, many of whom were federal defense workers. The only door in the library opened into the lobby of the building, not to the outside. The library began to welcome nearby residents in 1944.
In April 1961, the library moved to a larger space at 6338 32nd Ave. S.W. in a duplex provided by the Seattle Housing Authority. The second floor was sealed off, and the first floor was renovated to house the library in about 750 square feet of space. In the mid-1970s, the library expanded to 1,200 square feet. In 1996, the library received new paint, carpeting and furniture, and in March of that year it installed five computers for the public.
Libraries for All capital projects and the High Point Branch
In 1998, voters approved the $196.4 million "Libraries for All" bond measure and The Seattle Public Library Foundation pledged to contribute privately raised money to improve the Library system. The plan included building a new High Point Branch.
Construction began May 22, 2003. The new branch opened June 19, 2004.