A message from the Chief Librarian
Thank you Seattle voters! The renewed Library Levy means expanded hours, no late fines and more materials starting in 2020.
From Chief Librarian Marcellus Turner
August 7, 2019
Thank you Seattle voters!
Your overwhelming support of the 2019 Library Levy Renewal ensures Seattle has a strong Library system to support every resident of our city for years to come. Your investment in The Seattle Public Library is an investment in the future of our vibrant and growing city.
While the Library will continue to receive its base budget from the city’s general fund, the Library Levy will provide $219.1 million over the next seven years, which will lead to some immediate improvements beginning January 2020. Those include:
- All branch locations opening at noon on Sunday
- More e-materials
- Eliminated fines for overdue materials
Other changes will be implemented throughout the life of the seven-year levy, including:
- A total of 10,000 additional open hours a year
- Improved public internet access
- Expanded early learning programming for children
- An improved Library system for acquiring, cataloguing and circulating materials
- Earthquake retrofits of the historic Green Lake, University and Columbia branches
- Social service support for at-risk youth
A full list of the investments the Library intends to make with this funding can be found here on our website. As we have done with the 2012 Library Levy, we will report our progress to you throughout the life of the 2019 Library Levy Renewal with detailed quarterly and annual reports that you can also find here.
Thank you for helping us maintain a world-class Library system that is positioned to serve Seattle’s future.
Marcellus Turner, Executive Director and Chief Librarian
If you have a question or need help, Ask Us or call 206-386-4636.