Arts for Ages 50+: the Seattle Public Library Offers Programs for Older Adults Beginning Sept. 5
release date: 08/31/2020
This fall, The Seattle Public Library and Silver Kite Community Arts have partnered to offering online intergenerational workshops, talks, social hours, and performances for the community. These opportunities provide stimulating and creative engagement opportunities, as well as social connection.
“Older adults are facing unprecedented challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Nancy Slote. “We are working with community partners to offer virtual programs to help older adults navigate important decisions with physical and mental health, as well as fun programs that help them connect and learn.”
Visit the Library's Adults 50+ page to find and register for these upcoming events:
- 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 5 – Sip and Paint Watercolors. Join us for a step-by-step simple watercolor painting workshop with one of Silver Kite's professional teaching artists.
- 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 12 – Collage. In this class we'll collect, cut, tear and glue scraps and small treasures to create art. We'll also look at the work of several collage artists and explore different techniques they use to make their work.
- 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 14 – Circle Dance. Dance along with us. Learn village dances from around the world during this interactive workshop. Participants can either be seated or standing during the program.
- 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 19 – Landscape Poetry. During this workshop, we'll explore the settings which hold special meaning through reminiscence activities. We'll sing songs that recollect and songs we remember. We'll share personal stores and, together, create a mural of landscape memories - captured in visual images, words and phrases.
- 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 21 – Song Writing. During this interactive workshop, we'll work together to write a song and learn about rhythm, structure and melody techniques.
- 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 26 – Beginning Drawing. During this interactive workshop, learn basic drawing techniques in shading, shapes, and perspective.
- 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 28 – Writing Our Stories. During this interactive, creative non-fiction writing workshop, we'll engage in reminiscence activities and life story based writing exercises together. We'll learn basic strategies on how to tackle capturing your life stories to share with friends and family.
MORE PROGRAMS FOR OLDER ADULTS
Other programs this fall for older adults include a Virtual English Circle, events to practice conversational English skills online. Registration is required, visit our calendar to find a class that fits your schedule.
Look for more virtual events for older adults such as more programs on Medicare and a series on end-of-life planning.
All physical locations of The Seattle Public Library are closed in accordance with public health guidelines, but the Library now offers book returns, new holds on physical materials and curbside service. Find out more at our Road to Reopening page. Find out more about The Seattle Public Library’s digital resources and services at spl.org/stayinghome.