Pandemic Stories: the Greenwood Branch of The Seattle Public Library is Collecting Local History as It Happens
release date: 06/11/2020
During the COVID-19 pandemic, The Seattle Public Library's Greenwood Branch staff and the neighborhood blog Phinneywood have teamed up on a project named “What’s Good in Phinneywood” to build community around our shared experiences during the pandemic. So far, story submissions have included reflections, stories about actions or projects, pictures, drawings, links to videos and more. Check out the first and second round of stories at the Phinney Neighborhood Association page. Project information is also available in Spanish.
"The project really evolved from an idea one of our Library Associates had to engage the neighborhood during the Library's closure," said Emily Grayson, Adult Services Librarian. "We wanted to reach out to our neighbors and let them know the Greenwood Branch and Phinney Neighborhood Association are still here to support and serve the community, even while our facilities are closed."
TELL YOUR STORY
If you’re a Greenwood/Phinney neighborhood resident with a story to share, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Contributions can include written emails, attached written documents, photographs/drawings, or links to videos posted online. The project also encourages people to connect with neighbors or family members who are not able to connect digitally and help them to submit content as well. Children and teens ae encouraged to submit as well.
There is currently no deadline for this project, and multiple submissions are encouraged. If you are not sure where to start, What’s Good in Phinneywood lists a number of writing prompts:
- How is the pandemic affecting your daily life?
- If you were able to borrow materials before the Libraries closed, what has meant the most to you? What digital materials are you accessing and enjoying through the Library?
- What new things have you noticed on walks around the neighborhood that you may have missed from your car?
- What are your favorite quarantine-inspired, works-in-a-pinch cooking tips?
- What does self-care look like for you during this experience, and do you have tips to share with others?
- What has been your biggest success during this experience? How about your biggest surprise, or biggest challenge?
All physical locations of The Seattle Public Library are closed in accordance with public health guidelines to limit the spread of COVID-19. Find out more at spl.org/ChiefLibrarian. Find out more about The Seattle Public Library’s digital resources and services at spl.org/StayingHome.