Develop Your Professional Skills With the Seattle Public Library's Online Job Workshops Beginning Oct. 8
release date: 09/23/2020
In the past year, the COVID-19 pandemic has changed how we work. Get the tools you need to be successful in today's work environment with The Seattle Public Library's professional skills workshops in October and November. Whether you want to develop your leadership style or learn to deal with difficult coworkers, we have something for everyone.
Library events are free and everyone is welcome. Registration is required, sign up for individual workshops in the Library's event calendar.
- Conflict Awareness in the Workplace - 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 8. Learn how to turn negative situations into positive outcomes. Topics include understanding why we label people as difficult, types of difficult people, tools and techniques for resolving issues, coping strategies for dealing with the effects of difficult people, and conflict management strategies.
- Developing Your Leadership Style - 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 13. Learn how to capitalize on your personal leadership style to achieve workplace goals. Topics include: identify your leadership style through personal assessment; learn the difference between leadership and management; recognize the being" and "doing" of leadership; and develop the innate motivating techniques that transform employee attitudes and enhance cooperation and teamwork
- Communication Skills in the Workplace - 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 20. Communication skills are vital in today’s workplace. Topics include identifying the four primary communication styles, finding your style as well as the styles of others, and learning tools to address common communication speedbumps and barriers.
- Team Building for Success - 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 29. In this interactive course, you will learn skills to develop group understanding, evaluate team roles, develop methods for resolving underlying conflict within a team, and use these skills to collaborate with team members to achieve workplace objectives.
- Change Management - 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 5. Have you ever felt bombarded by nonstop change? This interactive workshop will help you better understand the impact of change and help others navigate through the phases of change. In addition, learn to manage resistance to change while planning successful change efforts.
- Getting the Most From Your Meetings - 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 19. Discover the four essentials of productive meetings: Planning, participating, presenting and producing. Other topics will include meeting formats and when to vary them, responding to conflict in a meeting, and meeting follow-through. A key component of this workshop is how to use effective communication strategies before, during and after your meetings.
The job skills & digital creativity classes are made possible by support from The Seattle Public Library Foundation, and in partnership with South Seattle College.
The Library has free job resources that that are essential to the well-being of the people we serve. We give everyone the opportunity to learn and excel through our career development resources, job skills workshops and one-on-one staff assistance to find Your Next Job.