Seattle’s Central Library to Offer Curbside Pickup of Books and Materials Beginning Aug. 6
release date: 08/03/2020
The Seattle Public Library’s Central Library, 1000 Fourth Ave. will begin offering curbside pickup of books and materials for patrons with holds at the downtown location beginning this week. More locations will be added soon.
Patrons with holds at the Central Library will receive emails this week letting them know their holds are ready for pickup on the library’s Fourth Avenue plaza beginning Thursday, Aug. 6. Information on the process for picking up materials, including how to schedule an appointment for pickup, will be provided in the email. Patrons will have two weeks to pick up their holds.
Visit the Library’s Road to Reopening page for more information on the Library’s new Curbside Service and other Library services being offered during the COVID-19 closures. “We know our patrons have been eager to have access to the physical collection and we are excited to be able to offer this service,” said Andrew Harbison, assistant director of Collections and Access Services at the Library. “Curbside pickup provides a contact-free way for patrons to access the Library’s print books and materials while our buildings are closed. Patrons may arrive by car, bike or on foot.”
At this time, only holds placed at the Central Library before the systemwide Library closure due to COVID-19 will be available for pickup. Curbside Service will be offered at the Central Library on the Fourth Avenue plaza from noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. The Central Library also currently accepts material returns those same days and hours. Restroom access is available at the Central Library daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
In order to minimize the spread of COVID-19, patrons should wear face coverings and maintain six feet of separation from other patrons and staff. All Library staff members will be wearing face coverings and using appropriate social distancing. The Library will have extra face coverings and hand sanitizer available for patrons.
HOW TO USE CURBSIDE SERVICE
- Make an appointment on the myLIBRO mobile app, or call 206-386-4190.
- Arrive at your scheduled appointment time.
- There will be 15-minute free Curbside Priority parking spots on both Fourth and Fifth avenues at the Central Library from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Central Library garage will also be available.
- Your materials will be waiting for you in a bag on the Scheduled Pickup table.
- Please call 206-386-4190 if you need an ADA accommodation for pickups.
- Wait in the walk-up pickup line.
- Present your Library Card or valid identification.
- Staff will collect your materials and bring them to the pickup table.
More Curbside Service locations coming soon
The Seattle Public Library plans to add more locations for the Curbside Service over the next several weeks. The scheduled rollout is as follows:
Tuesday, Aug. 11
- Broadview Branch, 12755 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle, 98133
- High Point Branch, 3411 S.W. Raymond St., Seattle, 98126
Thursday, Aug. 13
- Lake City Branch, 12501 28th Ave NE, Seattle, 98125
- Ballard Branch, 5614 22nd Ave NW, Seattle, 98107
Tuesday, Aug. 18
- Douglass-Truth Branch, 2300 E. Yesler Way, Seattle, 98122
- Rainier Beach Branch, 9125 Rainier Ave S, Seattle, 98118
Patrons with existing holds at each location will be notified by email. Once the backlog of existing holds at all locations have been filled, Library patrons will be able to place new holds.
The Seattle Public Library also has many free online programs, services and resources while its physical buildings remain closed. You can find out more here or by contacting the Library by phone at 206-386-4636. Staff are ready to answer questions and direct you to helpful resources and information during this challenging time.