The Seattle Public Library to replace 20-year-old computer catalog with new 'Horizon' system
The Seattle Public Library will replace its more than 20-year-old computer catalog with a new system called "Horizon" that will be implemented Wednesday, Feb. 23.
This is a major system upgrade, so there will be some service impacts while the transition to Horizon is complete.
With the new Horizon system, patrons will notice a number of improvements, including:
- Improved search and page loading times, especially for people with slow Internet connections.
- A better interface for Library users with visual disabilities.
- RSS (Really Simple Syndication). Just as Web sites now offer RSS as a means to provide updated information without having to "visit" the site, the Horizon RSS feature allows search feeds (new titles from your favorite author) or a listing of "items out" to be incorporated into new readers (My Yahoo! Or Bloglines).
- Icons that clearly display the type of material (book, DVD, book on CD, etc.) so you can quickly locate what you want.
To ensure confidentiality and protect patron privacy, the new system will no longer keep track of yearly holds placed by patrons.
Temporary service impacts during the transition to Horizon:
- The loan period for books and materials will be extended from three to five weeks between Thursday, Jan. 27 and Tuesday Feb. 8.
- Book returns at the Central Library (branch book drops remain open) will be unavailable on Monday, Feb. 21.
- Library card registrations and replacements will not be possible on Tuesday, Feb. 22.
- Self-check machines will be unavailable Tuesday, Feb. 22.
- All public computers will be unavailable Tuesday, Feb. 22.
- On Sunday, Feb. 20, beginning at 5:30 p.m., the existing online Library catalog will shut down. Patrons will not be able to place holds, renew items, use TeleCirc, access databases through the Web site, or reserve computer time until Horizon is up and running at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 23. Please note all libraries will be closed Monday, Feb. 21, Presidents' Day.
In addition, branches will each be closed for one day between now and Feb. 17 for staff training on the Horizon system. The closure locations and dates are as follows:
- Tuesday, Jan. 25 - Mobile Services, 2025 Ninth Ave., (206) 684-4713
- Wednesday, Jan. 26 - Southwest Branch, 9010 35th Ave. S.W., (206-684-7455)
- Thursday, Jan. 27 - Montlake Branch, 2300 24th Ave. E., (206) 684-4720; West Seattle Branch, 2306 42nd Ave. S.W., (206) 684-7444
- Friday, Jan. 28 - Magnolia Branch, 2801 34th Ave. W., (206) 386-4225; NewHolly Branch, 7058 32nd Ave. S., (206) 386-1905
- Tuesday, Feb. 1 - Capitol Hill Branch, 425 Harvard Ave. E., (206) 684-4715; Columbia Branch, 4721 Rainier Ave. S., (206) 386-1908
- Wednesday, Feb. 2 - High Point Branch, 3411 S.W. Raymond St., (206) 684-7454; Rainier Beach Branch, 9125 Rainier Ave. S., (206) 386-1906.
- Thursday, Feb. 3 - Delridge Branch, 5423 Delridge Way S.W., (206) 733-9125 and Green Lake Branch, (206) 7364 E. Green Lake Dr. N., (206) 684-7547
- Friday, Feb. 4 - Beacon Hill Branch, 2821 Beacon Ave. S., (206) 684-4711; Queen Anne Branch, 400 W. Garfield, (206) 386-4227
- Friday, Feb. 11 - Ballard Branch, 5711 24th Ave. N.W., (206) 684-4089
- Wednesday, Feb. 16, Broadview Branch, 12755 Greenwood Ave. N., (206) 684-4089; Wallingford Branch, 1501 N. 45th St., (206) 684-4088
- Thursday, Feb. 17, Douglass-Truth Branch, 2300 E. Yesler Way, (206) 684-4704; University Branch, 5009 Roosevelt Way N.E. (206) 684-4063.
For more information about Library locations or hours, call 206-386-4636 or visit www.spl.org.
For more information contact:
Andra Addison, communications director
< Back To Index