The Beacon Hill Branch closed Jan. 9, 2017, for improvements and reopened Feb. 13, 2017. The branch reopened before the full renovation was complete to limit the closure period for the public since most of the remaining work could be done outside of open hours. A public celebration was held April 30, 2017.
After 12 years of use, the interior was improved to support the changing ways that patrons are using libraries. Patrons say they want quiet study spaces, areas where they can use a multitude of devices and collaborate with others, and spaces where they can sit with their children to read or use technology.
The changes were designed to make it easier for patrons to interact with one another, create flexible, open, welcoming spaces and improve access to technology.
The 10,400-square-foot Beacon Hill Branch, which opened in July 2004, was built under the 1998 voter-approved "Libraries for All" bond measure that renewed and revitalized libraries across the city.
- Upgrade lighting to LED
- Reconfigure children's area to remove plywood arches and add mobile shelving and seating to create a more flexible space
- Reconfigure teen area to add seating and a laptop bar and stools
- Add a laptop bar in the lobby
- Add power in seating areas and at tables
- Move public computers closer to print station
- Consolidate service desks to make it easier for patrons to know where to get help and to free up space for other Library purposes
- Relocate self-checkout units and group them near holds area
- Install eight laptops and two iPads that patrons can borrow to use inside the branch
- Refinish walls and add protective wainscot in meeting room
- Upgrade equipment in meeting room
- Approximately $696,000
- Sources of funds
- 2012 Library levy
- Real Estate Excise Tax
- Library gift fund
- Dec. 5, 2016: Open house to describe improvements
- Dec. 30, 2016: Holds pickup location changes to Columbia Branch unless patrons have selected a different branch
- Jan. 8, 2017: Last day to check out or return materials at the Beacon Hill Branch
- Jan. 9, 2017: Beacon Hill Branch closes
- January and February 2017: Library provides Homework Help at the Columbia, Douglass-Truth and NewHolly branches. Students also can visit the Jefferson Community Center for informal assistance with homework.
- January through Feb. 1, 2017: Library provides Baby Story Time at the Columbia Branch
- January through March 2017: Library provides ESL classes at the Columbia Branch
- February 2017: The NewHolly Branch hosts tax help sessions at 10 a.m. on Saturdays in February. Registration required.
- Feb. 13, 2017: Refurbished Beacon Hill Branch reopens
- April 30, 2017: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Reopening celebration with refreshments and entertainment
For more information, please call the Library at 206-386-4636 or Ask a Librarian.