Library Closed Monday, Feb. 15
All locations of The Seattle Public Library and the book drops at the Central Library will be closed on Presidents Day, Monday, Feb. 15.
Possible service interruption in online Library services Feb. 13 - 14
The Library will be performing maintenance on our network. While we are not expecting service interruptions during this period, there might be brief interruptions in online services. You will be able to search the Bibliocommons catalog, but may not be able to log in, place holds, renew items or use other catalog features. The former Library catalog (Horizon Information Portal) may experience outages as well. SPL Mobile, access to e-books, free music downloads and many databases and applications also may be affected.
We welcome school visits to the Faye G. Allen Children's Center at the Central Library. If you would like to arrange a self-guided tour for your class, we can provide:
- A welcome pack for the class, with bookmarks and stickers for each student
- Help signing your students up for Library cards (see below)
- A scavenger hunt (PDF) to introduce students to the Children's Center
- Use of our story time room for lunch, if it is not already in use. Please contact the Children's Center to see if it is available
- A self-guided tour (PDF) of the Central Library designed for kids
To make your visit a success, we recommend that you:
- Limit the size of your group to 60 students and include one adult per five students
- Remind students with Library cards to bring their card and know their PIN if they plan to check out books or other items
Email the Children's Center to request welcome boxes, sign up your students for Library cards, or check room availability.
Getting Library cards
Students in Seattle and most of King County can apply for Library cards in advance and receive them the day of their visit.
To arrange for Library cards for your students, please:
- Email the Children's Center with your name, school, number of students and date of visit.
- Print out a Children's Library Card Application Form (PDF) for each of your students.
- Send the Application Form home with the students, to be signed by a parent or guardian and returned to you.
- Complete a cover sheet (PDF) and mail the completed application forms and cover sheet to the Children's Center.
Please mail your completed Library Card Application forms at least two weeks before your visit.
For more information, please contact:
The Seattle Public Library
1000 Fourth Ave.
Seattle, WA 98104-1109
School tours of other Library locations
For information about school tours at other Library locations, please contact the branch. See Teens School Tours of the Central Library for information about middle or high school visits.