Library Closed Monday, May 29
All locations of The Seattle Public Library and the book drops at the Central Library will be closed on Memorial Day, Monday, May 29.
Service interruption in the Library's Online Catalog – May 28 and May 29
The Library will be performing maintenance on our catalog starting at 6:30 p.m. Sunday, May 28 - 6:30 p.m. Monday, May 29. During this time, you will be able to search the Bibliocommons catalog, but will not be able to log in, place holds, renew items or use other catalog features. The former Library catalog (Horizon Information Portal), SPL Mobile, access to e-books, free music downloads and many databases and applications also will be unavailable.
The Seattle Public Library, United Way of King County and the AARP are collaborating to offer free tax preparation service January through mid-April at 12 locations of The Seattle Public Library.
Trained volunteers will answer questions and help prepare personal tax returns. The service is not available for business tax returns.
Drop-in assistance will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis; appointments are not required unless noted in the Tax Help schedule.
To receive tax help, bring the following documents:
- Social Security cards for everyone listed on the tax return
- Government issued photo ID (required)
- Income tax forms such as W-2s, 1099s, SSA-1099s, etc.
- Health care coverage information for each person on the return
- Health coverage forms, if applicable (1095-A,B,C)
- Tuition statements, if applicable (1098s)
- Check with bank account and routing numbers, for direct deposit of refund, if applicable
- Photocopies of identification and Social Security Cards are not accepted.
- Medicare cards (if SS number is followed by an “A”) may be substituted for Social Security “A”.
- A copy of last year's tax return
Due to federal budget cuts the IRS is unable to provide the Library with certain tax forms and instruction booklets. Most IRS forms are available online at www.irs.gov. You may make black-and-white prints of the forms from Library computers for $.15 per page. To ask the IRS to mail you forms, order online at IRS.gov/orderforms or call 1-800-829-3676.
For more information, Ask a Librarian or call the Library at 206-386-4636.