Learning Buddies is an education enrichment program for K-5 students at the Beacon Hill, Columbia, Douglass-Truth, Greenwood, NewHolly and West Seattle branches. Teen volunteers and kids read together, learn math and play educational games with support from librarians.
If you are a high school student who enjoys math, reading and helping kids succeed in school, please consider volunteering as a Learning Buddy. You will gain service learning experience and earn community service hours for school.
Learning Buddies tutor kids once a week. Volunteer opportunities are available at the following Library branches, October through December and March through May.
- Beacon Hill Branch, 2821 Beacon Hill Ave. S.: Tuesday, 4:15 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.
- Columbia Branch, 4721 Rainier Ave. S.: Tuesday, 4:15 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.
- Douglass-Truth Branch, 2300 East Yesler Way: Tuesday, 4:15 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.
- NewHolly Branch, 7058 32nd Ave. S.: Tuesday, 4:15 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.
- West Seattle Branch, 2306 42nd Ave. S.W.: Tuesday, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
The West Seattle Branch's Learning Buddies program offers math learning activities.
The Greenwood Branch's Learning Buddies program takes place at the North Seattle Boys and Girls Club, 8635 Fremont Ave. N. from 3:15 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. on Wednesdays.
High school students must be at least 14 years old and live close to a Library branch that offers the Learning Buddies program. Qualifications and skills of successful Learning Buddy volunteers include:
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Enjoy reading with kids and talking about books.
- Ability to explain basic math concepts to kids.
- Ability to be kind, patient, flexible and creative while you are helping kids learn.
- Good organizational and time management skills. Volunteers are expected to arrive on time and participate in every session of the Learning Buddies series.
How to sign up:
You can request a volunteer application and schedule an interview at one of the following Library branches at least one month before the fall or spring Learning Buddies series. After your interview, you will be invited to participate in a Learning Buddies volunteer orientation.
- Beacon Hill Branch: call the Teen Services librarian at 206-684-4711
- Columbia Branch: call the Teen Services librarian at 206-386-1908
- Douglass-Truth Branch: call the Teen Services librarian at 206-684-4704
- Greenwood Branch: call the Teen Services librarian at 206-684-4086
- NewHolly Branch: call the Supervising Librarian at 206-386-1905
- West Seattle Branch: call the Teen Services librarian at 206-684-7444
You are welcome to contact our volunteer services coordinator at email@example.com or leave a message at 206-386-4664.