Library Closed Monday, May 29
All locations of The Seattle Public Library and the book drops at the Central Library will be closed on Memorial Day, Monday, May 29.
Service interruption in the Library's Online Catalog – May 28 and May 29
The Library will be performing maintenance on our catalog starting at 6:30 p.m. Sunday, May 28 - 6:30 p.m. Monday, May 29. During this time, you will be able to search the Bibliocommons catalog, but will not be able to log in, place holds, renew items or use other catalog features. The former Library catalog (Horizon Information Portal), SPL Mobile, access to e-books, free music downloads and many databases and applications also will be unavailable.
The levy provides the Library with a solid foundation that allows it to restore core services and experiment with new programs and outreach. The levy allows us to access and leverage investments from other sources to respond to the evolving needs and expectations of patrons.
Accomplishments from 2016 include:
- Introduced a new bookmobile
- Offered a workshop series for teens on how to program "Finches," or robots
- Continued to collect oral histories from people who influenced the development of jazz in Seattle for the Seattle Jazz Archive
- Hosted "First Folio! The Book That Brought Us Shakespeare" at the Central Library
- Launched Tinkerlab, a weekly, all-ages, STEM-(science, technology, engineering and math) focused program series at the Delridge, High Point and South Park branches
- Created "Streetwise Revisited," a photography exhibit at the Central Library and a series of events that examined youth and family homelessness, using one family's 30-year journey
- Partnered with Seattle Public Schools to launch a pilot project at three middle schools (Aki Kurose, Denny and Asa Mercer) designed to increase student access to the Library's electronic resources